The Nigerian-American Healthcare Professionals: Inter-professional Healthcare Webinar
Improving Patient Safety by Preventing Medication Errors: A Multidisciplinary Healthcare Team Approach
Download The Nigerian-American Healthcare Professionals: Inter-professional Healthcare Webinar
Saturday 26th June, 2021
1PM EST | 12NOON CST | 10AM PST
DIAL-IN VIA ZOOM OR PHONE
United States: +1 646 558 8656
Meeting ID: 926 8832 7308
To provide physicians, pharmacists, nurses, other allied health care professionals and the general public with practical approaches for improving patient safety through medical and medication error prevention. Guidance on multidisciplinary team approach will be provided, utilizing special patient populations and case studies.
SESSION LEARNING OBJECTIVES
At the completion of this session, participants should be able to:
- Define medication error, common causes, scope of the problem, rate of occurrence and related healthcare implications
- Describe patient safety and elements of medication safety
- Deliver effective communication methods among healthcare providers and patients
- Obtain proper informed consent from competent patients and representatives of dependent patients
- List commonly occurring medication errors in different healthcare settings
- Describe individual and multidisciplinary roles and responsibilities in ensuring patient safety
- Identify strategies/actions that can be taken to reduce the risk of medication errors through various routes of administration.
- Strategies to include identification and mitigation (including but not limited to medical/clinical interventions, etc.) of risk in the inadvertent event that a medication error occurred.
SATURDAY JUNE 26, 2021
- Speaker #1: Medication Error and Nursing Care: What You Need To Know
- Speaker: Agatha Ekeh, EdD, MSN, BSN, RN-PHN, Adjunct Faculty / Assistant Clinical Professor.
- Speaker #2: Preventing Medication Errors: The Physicians Perspective
- Speaker: Gertie Anyanwoke, MD, FIDSA, Medical Director, Infectious Disease Associates of Baton Rouge
- Speaker #3: Preventing Medication Errors: The Pharmacists Perspective
- Speaker: Kwame Adjei, PharmD, MBA, MS, National Institute of Health (NIH)
- All Speaker Panel Discussion and Q & A
- All Speakers