Message From The President
Association of Nigerian Physicians in the Americas (ANPA)
I am deeply honored to have the opportunity to lead this great organization. ANPA has grown from humble beginnings to a much respected and admired professional organization representing the interests of a very talented and engaged membership. I honor and respect the vision of our founders who have labored for years to bring us to where we are today. To these great members, I express profound gratitude.
To usher ANPA into the next Quadranscentennial era, my Presidential platform will be built upon the following:
In several countries esp low and middle income countries (like Nigeria) out of pocket expenditure constitutes a major proportion of healthcare spending. In the current state of the Nigerian economy it is easy to appreciate how this situation impacts health access. Therefore, we must optimize resources from all sources. The private sector can offer effective development solutions, not just financing. We will need to be creative in engaging different types of Private -public partnerships in the form of domestic or global, formal, informal or hybrid out of the box. Seeking out, engaging & working collaboratively – creates Partnership of Purpose- at home, in the communities we live in, abroad and where we call home – would help to generate the resources to actualize our strategic goals.
We have a large population of potential members with almost 20 Chapters functioning loosely toward a common goal. Our effectiveness as a body rests in our people strength, the number of engaged members and also the constant grooming of younger members ensure a broad age spectrum of members with different talents and views.
However, when we talk of people’s strength it’s not just members. We also need a caliber of minority health care professionals at home to address the fact that when you have a provider who you can relate to then you are more likely to receive what they are saying and have better outcomes.
Actualizing impactful projects will help move ANPA forward.
- Collaborating with entities of high repute in a targeted way to create tertiary and specialist bandwidth.
- Health care promotion on a population scale by health education messengers using mobile messaging in a tiered method with major carriers.
- Use the already existing platforms ; Womens Hat and Tea platform to elevate the status of Women and children in Nigeria as a low hanging fruit
- Using research as a tool to direct care giving . I have the commitment of several healthcare researchers – their own right to collate a council of Researchers in ANPA to crystallize a way for us to obtain Health care research money
- Use health care financing to engage delivery projects. 50 MDs worth a net worth of at least $100,000 creates a worth of $5,000,000.00. This provides a basis to engage and create systems level impact in Nigeria.
It’s time for us to have a place of business in Nigeria – a place where we can have our work of the day be done, monetize administrative functions as we pursue activities including capacity building, educational activities including simulation, distance learning and leadership training.
The time has come for us to step out of the shadows and claim our position as leadership in the nation creating a way to monetize our efforts will help us to create a way to actualize the projects we are intending — In the words of Chinua Achebe